Cheap holiday gift ideas are sometimes hard to come by.
With gas prices being at an all time high, real estate in a slump, people losing their jobs, and the holidays just around the corner, it may be necessary to curb spending, and revert back to finding creative, cheap holiday gift ideas.
Listed below are 22 cheap holiday gift ideas.
1) Knit a scarf or hat, or make one out of fleece.
2) Bake a cake, cookies, bars, bread, or pie. Wrap it with cellophane and ribbon, for great presentation.
3) Make a “jar” gift. Stack the dry ingredients for a simple cookie or soup recipe, in a jar. Attach the recipe, and top the jar with a pretty piece of fabric
4) If a young child needs a specific article of clothing, check with your local fabric store for material and a pattern, and sew it yourself.
5) Make hand/machine sewn pillows. Attach pretty buttons, fringe, or other embellishments to customize it to the “recipient’s decor. Quilted pillows are also an option.
6) Create a photo collage in a pretty inexpensive collage frame
7) For bird lovers, make a pine cone bird feeder.
8.) For those who like to read, purchase a gift card, and attach a bookmark to the package
9) For the cook in your life, sew an apron, and even matching towels. Towels can be made out of cotton table cloths. One large table cloth will yield at least a dozen towels. As an added embellishment, sew ribbon on the towel. Potholders are inexpensive to make, as well.
10) For young children, fill a basket with coloring books, crayons, and other goodies, from your local dollar store. With toy recalls being a major concern, check the CPSC’s (Consumer Protection Safety Commission) website for the current list.
11) For that “someone special”, create a “coupon book”. Use your computer to create coupons for such things as a back rub, foot massage, pedicure, manicure, car wash and/or detailing, ….the possibilities are endless. Get creative! Use humor. Include drawings or photos.
12) Coupon books would also be great for children to give to their parents or grandparents. They could include coupons for chores they normally don’t do.
13) For a family member or friend, frame a favorite picture. Choose a frame that will match their decor. Try processing the photo in black and white, for something different. For free photo editing, try Picasa.
14) Instead of buying gifts for everyone in a large family, “pick names” and set a budget. Plan a fun filled evening, for your gift exchange.
15) At work, draw names for a “secret Santa”. Buy for one person, set a budget, and pick a day to exchange gifts and reveal who’s “Santa” you were.
16) Burn a CD with favorite photos or music. Wrap it in a plastic CD holder.
17) Give the gift of tea or coffee. In a napkin lined basket, place a box of tea or a bag of coffee, a cup, and a package of biscotti.
18) For those who still prefer to hand write letters, buy a pretty box of stationery, and include a pretty pen. Maybe even some stamps.
19) Shop discount stores for pretty baskets of lotions and soaps. Pick a scent that the recipient likes. If you’re real creative, make handmade soaps. Attach a tag and wrap with a pretty ribbon.
20) Candles are great inexpensive gifts. Buy a candle and matching candle holder.
21) Movie tickets are inexpensive. Give a friend or family member two tickets, and a coupon for “free babysitting”. That would make for a great “date night” for parents who don’t get out much.
22) There are many beautiful ornaments on the market. Buy a pretty ornament, and an ornament holder from your local craft store.
Any gift can be made even prettier, by using beautiful ribbon. Buy a big roll at a discount store, and use it for all of your packages. Just pick a color that will match an array of holiday papers.
Wrapping paper can get expensive, but by using an alternative, you can save even more money. For ideas on cheap wrapping paper, read a previous article of mine, titled: Cheap Wrapping Paper.
Take time to wrap your gifts with love and care.
Find a box your gift will fit into. Line it with pretty tissue.
Wrapped boxes create a beautiful present. Attach a hand written card, for greater impact.
A cheap holiday gift idea, that’s well thought out, and beautifully wrapped, can hold more meaning than an expensive store bought item.
Who can put a price on that?
For great themed gift ideas, see: Last Minute Cheap Christmas Gift Ideas