Statistics show children are getting fat at an alarming rate. Helping a child lose excess weight is essential to their health and well being.
Studies show if one or more of the parents of an obese child are overweight, their children may be fat as well.
It comes down to the food and activity choices you and your fat children are making.
Only keep healthy foods and snacks in your pantry and refrigerator.
- Cut up fruits and vegetables, store in clear containers
- Stock snacks such as low fat popcorn. Some brands are 94% fat free.
- Buy whole wheat pastas and breads
- Encourage your children to drink water – stop buying soda and/or juices that are filled with sugar
- Learn new cooking techniques which reduce calories
- Talk to your family doctor about a diet for your fat child
Encourage your fat children to exercise
- Plan walks in the park or on walking trails
- Organize family bike rides
- Play games such as basketball or soccer with your children
- Purchase Wii Fit exercise games. Purchase one or more and play them with your child
- Child learn from their parents. Set a good example for them by exercising and eating healthy
Stop rewarding fat children with food
- Reward children with a movie rental – plan low fat snacks
- Reward them with a toy or an article of clothing
- Most importantly, reward a children with attention, affection and.or words of encouragement
- Watch shows such as The Biggest Loser with your children and talk to them about how they feel about being fat
Having a fat child is not only hard on the parents, but is even harder on the fat child. Find whatever help you can by asking your family doctor or friends who have encountered the same problem with fat children.
With fat children showing signs of major health issues, it’s imperative they get help as early as possible.